Soldier arrested after stealing an armored vehicle - FOX 5 KRBK is Springfield MO source for News and Weather

Soldier arrested after stealing an armored vehicle

Posted: Updated: -

A solider stole an armored personnel carrier from a Virginia National Guard base and led authorities on more than a 60-mile chase while under the influence of drugs before being arrested in the state's capital city on Tuesday, officials said.

Virginia State Police said in a news release the incident began around 7:50 p.m., when the armored personnel carrier was driven away from Fort Pickett in Nottoway County. The military vehicle, which moves on tracks similar to a tank, was not equipped with any weaponry and is the property of the Virginia National Guard.

Police identified the driver as 29-year-old Joshua Philip Yabut of Richmond, and said he was arrested for driving under the influence of drugs in addition to being charged with felony counts of eluding police and unauthorized use of a vehicle.

After being stolen from Fort Pickett, state police said the personnel carrier was driven east on Route 460 and then north on Interstate 95, hitting a maximum speed of about 40 mph as authorities pursued the vehicle.

"We wanted to make sure we had the safety of the public as the first and foremost, and we wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be the possibility of civilians being injured in the process," State Police Sgt. Keeli Hill told WTVR.

State police began pursuit of the vehicle after receiving the initial report and traveled along with it from Nottoway County to the Richmond. There were no crashes or injuries involving the vehicle during the pursuit, Virginia State Police spokesperson Corinne N. Geller said .

Videos posted to social media show authorities chasing the vehicle through city streets.

A witness who saw part of the pursuit near Virginia Commonwealth University told WTVR he knew something was wrong when he heard the thunderous sound of the military vehicle.

“It just seemed like something out of a movie," Brian Wingert said. "I heard a large vehicle, it sounded like a tank, but it was moving pretty fast."

The chase ended when the driver abandoned the personnel carrier around 9:40 p.m. and was taken into custody near City Hall.

“It sounds like he pretty much just stopped on his own accord,” Hill told the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Officials did not disclose Yabut's motive for stealing the vehicle, adding the incident remains under investigation. The 29-year-old is currently being held at the Richmond jail.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Frankly and KBRK. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.