Fire destroys mobile home in Taney County - FOX 5 KRBK is Springfield MO source for News and Weather

Fire destroys mobile home in Taney County

Posted: Updated:

Springfield, Mo. -- (11/28/2017) At approximately 3:03 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, Western Taney County Fire Protection District units were dispatched to a residential structure fire at Wallace Road and Hwy 160. Multiple calls reported a well involved mobile home with persons possibly still inside. Chief 3 and Engine 102 arrived to find a single wide mobile home with heavy smoke showing throughout and an active fire at the rear of the home. An aggressive attack was made, but strong winds hampered efforts. Crews attempted to attack the interior but the floor of the home was unstable, and firefighters had to withdraw.

During this time neighbors informed firefighters that they had been in contact with the family and they were not at home and accounted for. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire was under control within thirty minutes, but crews had to perform extensive overhaul operations to search for hidden fires.

Firefighters used a water shuttle operation from WTCFPD Station 10 water storage tanks and the assistance of Southern Stone County fire. The fire caused traffic delays on Hwy 160 between Reed Spring and Highway 65 for about two hours.

No injuries were reported. The home is a total loss. The preliminary investigation determined the fire started on the exterior of the home and was caused by an outdoor wood burning furnace and improper disposal of ashes. The embers from the stove and ashes ignited extremely dry leaves and brush next to the home, and eventually the house. The Red Cross is helping the displaced family. WTCFPD would like to thank Southern Stone County Fire, Taney County Ambulance, Taney County Sheriff and the Missouri Highway Patrol for their Assistance.

WTCFPD would like to remind everyone to ensure your home exterior is cleared of brush and dry leaves. With extremely dry conditions outdoor burning is strongly discouraged. This is the second fire in two weeks caused by unattended burning products outside of a home. Please be cautious until we receive significant rainfall.

Edited Media Release

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Frankly and KBRK. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.